Saturday, March 21, 2009

Me, Barbie & Rock n' Roll

I remember when I first found out that I had something in common with Barbie and Rock n' Roll. I was in Springfield, IL during state fair time and had tickets to the 30th Anniversary of Rock n' Roll. Coincidentally the fair took place during the same month as my 30th birthday. It was during that concert that there was mention of Barbie turning 30 that year as well. Great - me Barbie and Rock n' Roll. Funny how I'm the only one that actually looks older!

Let's take a good look at Barbie, who is also turning 50 this year. Do you see anything on her that would give away her age? Nope - not a thing. No crows feet, no labial lines, and no frown lines. I won't even talk about weight gain! Does that seem fair to you? Have you seen the 50th anniversary doll? She looks much better than she did when she was 20. There's just something wrong with this picture! Barbie should be aging like the rest of us. She should have a daughter that looks better than she does and AARP should be harassing Barbie with invitations to join just like they do to the rest of us. Barbie just looks better all the time.

Now, let's move on to Rock n' Roll. I'm still hearing songs on the radio that were new when I was 15! Heck, the Stones are still alive - who would've guessed that? Rock n' Roll is turning 50 this year and is none the worse for it. The bands and singers may be getting older, but the songs live on and on. I am now hearing some songs that have been released for the third or fourth time and have to listen to younger people exclaim over the "new song that's out." Ugh.

How much fun can it be to turn 50 during the same year that an unchanging icon and a classic genre turn 50? I'm feeling a little overshadowed right now. So as long as I'm experiencing my own insignificance, let's see who else will be 50 this year:
Bryan Adams (still touring)
Appolonia (you remember her with Prince, right?)
Tom Arnold (I thought he was older than that!)
Linda Blair (forever the girl in the Exorcist)
Danny Bonaduce (come on get happy)
Marc DeBarge (gosh, I forgot all about that band)
Sheena Easton (haven't heard anything from her for awhile)
Joe Elliot (Def Leopard is touring with Poison and Cheap Trick this year)
Fabio (you must remember him)
Jessica Hahn (has it really been 29 years since that scandal?)
Magic Johnson (also a long time since that shocking announcement)
Lorrie Morgan (I think she's had her share of ups and downs)
Marie Osmond (getting better all the time),
Mackenzie Phillips (is she in or out of rehab now?)
Paula Poundstone (standing up all over the country)
Debbie Rowe (Michael Jackson has an ex-wife - bizarre!)
Sade (Smooth Operator is piped into elevators across the country)
Richi Sambora (heading for the Song Writer's Hall of Fame on June 18, 2009)
Bryan Setzer (one of my favorite guitar players)
Randy Travis (saw him on TV the other night - first time in a long time)
Tracey Ullman (have you seen her Renee Zellweger imitation?)
Johnny Whitaker (how many of us are old enough to remember Family Affair?)
Kevin Spacey (another favorite - remember the Garden of Good and Evil?)

This is a small list. I'm not alone in turning 50 and not everyone is famous. Just looking at all the people that are turning 50 this year makes me feel less like an oddity. Sure, I could have it better - but I could sure have it worse. Turning 50 isn't easy, but then what is? At least I've got lots of company.

No comments:

Post a Comment