Monday, September 14, 2009

Is It God's Work?

There is a lot of controversy surrounding the idea that prayer helps during cancer treatments. Patients who have experienced the benefits of prayer (these benefits are so varied as to make it impossible to list them) have no doubt that God and prayer play a huge part in their treatment. In an article from March 25, 2005 on MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7293237/), a man, Andy Delbridge, who was terminally ill with a brain tumor expresses his belief in the power of prayer. He was expected to live no more than a few months following his 2002 diagnosis. I have seen other articles about Andy from 2007. One article was titled Death Defying Faith. I'm not talking about faith healing here. I'm talking about prayer.

The American Cancer Society states that "Studies have found spirituality and religion are very important to the quality of life for some people with cancer. Although available research has not supported claims that spirituality can cure cancer or any other disease, the psychological benefits of praying may include reduction of stress and anxiety, promotion of a more positive outlook, and the strengthening of the will to live." (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Spirituality_and_Prayer.asp)
Since this is my blog, I get to write about my opinion.

I am a Christian and God is my best friend. Without God, I wouldn't have made it to the hospital for the first surgery. I am a needle phobic. This is a needle filled disease. I have had nightmares about needles ever since I can remember. I will do almost anything to avoid them. When I was diagnosed, I prayed. I prayed that I would have whatever I needed to get through whatever was coming. I sort of hoped God would think that I needed to have all this just disappear - but nope, he didn't think that. I was able to get through every nightmare event, one at a time.

All my hardships have been addressed. I'm not saying that my experiences turned out to be easy. Quit the contrary. But, I had the strength and support when I needed it. God used other people to help me when I needed it. I am humbled by the number of people that have shown up to help me. It's astounding.

We attend a Grace Fellowship in Spring Hill, a church of which we are not yet members - but we will be soon. Our church took me on as what I can only describe as a dedicated project. The church prayed for me, people prayed for me each time I had to deal with needles, chemo or any other dreaded thing. They prayed during the event in my support. I received prayers and encouragement through text messages on my phone. While I was sitting in the chemo chair, I would login to facebook using my phone and find more prayers and messages. Amazing.

This church did not stop at prayer, they also helped with our physical needs. The Lawn Mafia (they can dig up, bury and eliminate like nothing I've ever seen) showed up at our house twice to deal with our neglected landscaping. It would have taken us a week to do what this group of ten people could do in just two hours.

Meals showed up at our house regularly. Everyone provided wonderful food. I am starting to wish I could subscribe to that service! Friends would show up to clean my house. Let me tell you, I had to learn to just sit there and let them work. That is really hard. I would never have guessed that it would be so difficult to just be still while people are helping me. Of course, I also had to deal with dust embarrassment, clutter fluster, and the shame of being domestically challenged. I've never been the slightest bit good at cleaning. I end up reverting to my tried and true tornado method. This involves moving stuff around and around until it finally disappears somewhere, never to be found again.

There are so many things that our church has done and continues to do for us that I can be nothing but inspired to act in kind. What an inspiration. I can't wait until I can provide a meal for someone, or participate with the Lawn Mafia, or help clean another person's house. Back to prayer.

Tamicia, the lady who accessed my port prior to each chemo session (that means she stuck a needle into the port located under my skin near my collar bone ), prayed each time I had to have that needle inserted. She was amazing!

It seems like everyone I know (and some I don't know) is praying for me. One particular friend and I have been out of touch for 13 years. He called one day before surgery and we talked for a couple of hours about everything and nothing. So many people, so many prayers. My friends and family have been there every step of the way. When I was at the end of myself, they took over and I got through it. Again - prayer.

So, what do I think about prayer and cancer? For me, prayer is the most important element in my cancer treatment. Without it, I wouldn't have the strength to even start the treatment. The hardest part has been to remember to pray for God's will and not that He remove my problems (although it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he did that - hint, hint). I'm still here because of my prayers and the prayers of others. Fear is a great motivator - but in my case it would have motivated me to turn down treatment. As it is, I knew people were praying for me. I was praying for me. My family prayed. My husband was there during the treatments and was praying. The strength showed up. I have come this far. Coincidence? I don't think so.

1 comment: